Friday, February 26, 2010

Repeat???? Please!!!!

We had our first victory Monday night on the city-league basketball team that I am coaching.  My son, Studly, and his 8 teammates finally pulled out a win!  They had lost their previous five games, not because they are terrible ball players, but because they had not learned how to function corporately; to succeed self must first die.

Several of the boys on the team were good (not NBA good, 11 year old good), but they were lacking in the  'know-how' or development of the concept of team.

I had shared with my husband and friends that all I hoped to accomplish this season (my first coaching season) was to teach the boys to play as a team and have fun doing it.  Lie!  Lie!  Lie!  Lie!  Lie!

It sounded really good, but I must confess I am way too competitive to go an entire season without a single 'W'.   In noncompetitive sport talk... that means a WIN!   I am sincere when I say that I want the boys to have fun, but who wants to lose all of the time?  Not me!

After A LOT of coaching, teaching, stressing and hair pulling (my own, not the boys) they are finally grasping the concept of team rather than individualism.  They are beginning to cheer each other on and celebrate each other's victories.  They are joking with each other prior to the games and high-fiving each other after.  I am blessed to be on this journey with them.  They are an amazing group of boys!

Tonight, we seek our second victory.  (Did you really think I would be ok with just one?)

1 comment: